Writers, artists, editors, everyone taking part in the creative process - DON’T DO THIS. If you see a colleague doing it, stop them.
Above are two pages from DC Comics’ new He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #1. I don’t know whose decision it was to have Teela, Warrior Goddess that she is, strip down in front of her comrades for absolutely no reason and then get stuck under a cabinet, needing rescue from the men in the scene, but it needs to stop.
I’m not blaming anyone, I just want to make people aware this is a thing that happens, and a thing that happens often, in comics. I actually gave this book to my boyfriend (who doesn’t read comics) because he’s a big He-Man/She-Ra fan, like myself. His exact word were, “Yeah, I was wondering why she did that. It makes no sense.”
Well, it makes sense if you follow superhero comics.
I can’t be sure why it happened but I can wager a good guess. People are still trying to sell superhero comics specifically to heterosexual males (even though they’ve got a pretty solid hold on that demographic already) and they think this is what they need in order to make the purchase. But if you ask a heterosexual man, he’ll likely say he doesn’t need the women in his comics to be sexually arousing, in fact, most of the time it makes him uncomfortable. He’s an adult, you see, and he doesn’t use his comics to masturbate. You know what he wants? Good stories. Which is a coincidence, because that’s what women want, too.
"But He-Man walks around half-naked," you say. That’s true, he does. But he’s not illustrated that way to be appealing to the straight, female gaze, he’s illustrated that way to show how powerful he is, just like all the other male superheroes. But you wouldn’t see Duncan doing what Teela did in this scene. Not ever.
I say all the time, you don’t have to write comics FOR women, you just need to write comics that don’t actively OFFEND them. Ones that don’t scream, “you’re not welcome here.” Us ladies grew up with He-Man and She-Ra just like the fellas, why wouldn’t we want to read comics about them? Well, this scene is one big reason why we wouldn’t.
It’s also why I won’t be reading any more of this series. Yes, second chances and all that, but there comes a point where you have to put your foot down and say, “I will not give you money to offend me.”
~*GIVEAWAY: F#$! YEAH THE LAST OF US’ TLOU RELEASE CELEBRATION GIVEAWAY!*~
With the release of The Last of Us finally here (and man has it been an exciting 2 weeks), it’s time for a giveaway! As I mentioned earlier this week, the lovely babes over at Naughty Dog had sent me some signed goodies and things to giveaway and now is your chance to score some awesome The Last of Us literature! Read below to find out how:
- Following is not a requirement (but if you love TLOU, then why not? :D)
- You must reblog this post (once; twice if you feel like it but PLEASE NOTE that it does not count as two entries)
- Multiple reblogs do not count as multiple entries
- Likes do not count
- *Since I anticipate this giveaway to receive quite a bit of attention, I am going to run this giveaway only for the weekend. This will make it easier for me when going through the notes and cleaning up the list (depending on the number of notes of course :D)
- Giveaway ends Saturday June 29th, 2013 at 11:59pm EST
- There will be 7 winners, omg!
- Winners will be picked using a random number generator
- Signatures include Evan Wells, Christophe Balestra, Neil Druckmann, and Bruce Straley
- Giveaway is not limited to location
- Tumblr is not affiliated/responsible for giveaway, etcetc.
*Prizes (In order in photos):
- 1rst Pick - 1 signed Limited Edition The Last of Us Strategy Guide (w/ stickers)
- 2nd Pick - 1 signed The Art of The Last of Us Art Book (w/ stickers)
- 3rd Pick - 1 signed (non-limited) The Last of Us Strategy Guide (w/ stickers)
- 4th Pick - 1 copy of The Last of Us American Dreams Issue #1 *cover w/ Riley* (w/ stickers)
- 5th Pick - 1 copy of The Last of Us American Dreams Issue #1 (w/ stickers)
- 6th Pick - 1 copy of The Last of Us American Dreams Issue #1 (w/ stickers)
- 7th Pick - 1 copy of The Last of Us American Dreams Issue #1 (w/ stickers)
I just want to thank you all for the support you’ve given the blog! Since The Last of Us released, the TLOU community on Tumblr has grown and my following has become even more amazing. You all rule and I appreciate the love and support you constantly send my way <333
If you have any questions, feel free to send me an ask! Thanks for everything and good luck everyone!
It’s a huge day for me. See, I’d wanted to be a paleontologist. I loved dinosaurs. They were the dragons that were real. But at some point, I’d started to realize that it was all bones and dust and that I’d never really see one of these majestic creatures alive…
Then I saw Jurassic Park. I vividly remember the moment in the theater, twenty years ago today, when that Brachiosaurus strides up the hill. And in that instant, it was alive to me, really alive, and I knew in my marrow that I wanted that magic.
Today, exactly twenty years later, I’m a few weeks away from my own movie, with vfx by the exact same house that breathed life into that very dinosaur walking up the hillside. And not a day goes by that I don’t thank that stupid kid for thinking he could do this.
Space Ghost #1 (Comico) by Steve Rude
A Ziggy Stardust sketch from a con. I so badly want to do this as a comic:)